A Brief History
This church was founded in 1640 as the “First Church of Christ in Southold” under the leadership of the Rev. John Younges (Youngs) from Southwold, England. The exact location of the first “meeting house” is not known, but it was probably a short distance west of the present church, on the site marked by the Founder’s Monument. The second church was erected in 1684 and stood on the north side of Main Street nearly opposite the first. The present edifice was erected in 1803, on land bought in 1697 from John Herbert. Originally the building measured 40 feet by 60 feet, and had a seating capacity of four hundred. The steeple was added in 1808 and in 1855 an iron triangle, still in possession of the church, was removed and a bell hung in the steeple. The town clock was placed in the steeple in 1884. Other additional improvements have been made since then, but with every effort to preserve and enhance the simplicity of the colonial style architecture.